Future search conference
From MarineBiotech Infopages
A future search conference helps a group of people attempt to create a shared community vision of the future, and agree on a plan of action.
- Canvas people to be invited to be part of the future search.
- Book venue.
- Hire a facilitator.
- Advertise event.
- Brief participants and the facilitator on the aims and objectives of the session.
- Provide a background briefing for participants if required.
- Conduct discussion. One methodology for conducting the discussion outlined by Emery identifies five stages to the process:
- External environment: ‘the futures we are currently in’ are described by the participants.
- Desirable futures: groups construct a list of desirable futures that build upon the current situation.
- Desirable futures are transmitted into more explicit pictures.
- Testing desirable futures against the reality of the current situation and the criteria generated earlier in the meeting.
- Discussing the implementation of the desirable future, based on current circumstances and resources.
- Record issues raised by individuals and report back in the plenary sessions.
- Compile a report of proceedings.
The article has been reviewed by Plan Bleu and PAP/RAC
Please note that others may also have edited the contents of this article.