Manual Sediment Transport Measurements in Rivers, Estuaries and Coastal Seas
This article is recommended by the editorial team.
This article introduces the Manual Sediment Transport Measurements in Rivers, Estauries and Coastal Seas (Van Rijn, 1986; 2007). The article contains links to articles with summaries of the manual and to the pdf-files of the manual. See also the alphabetic overview of all articles with summaries of the manual.
The Manual Sediment Transport Measurements in Rivers, Estauries and Coastal Seas is a volume of about 500 pages containing all details of measurement instruments and methods for mud, silt and sand transport in rivers, estuaries and coastal seas. The manual includes: definitions and measuring principles and errors involved, methods to compute sediment transport from measured data, a wide range of instruments from simple mechanical samplers to sophisticated electronic equipment. Bed load transport as well as suspended load transport are addressed. Methods and instruments to measure particle size and particle fall velocity are discussed. Laboratory and in-situ sample analysis are described. Instrumentation for determining the wet bulk density of bed material (important for dredging studies) is presented. Remote sensing by video camera recording is also discussed. Regular updates of the methods and instrumentation are made.
The manual was first published in 1986 and updated in 1993, 2005 and 2007. The manual is written by L.C. van Rijn (Delft Hydraulics and University of Utrecht, The Netherlands) issued by Rijkswaterstaat (Public Works Department in The Netherlands) and Aqua Publications. L.C. van Rijn is senior research and project engineer of the Delft Hydraulics Laboratory.
The Coastal Wiki comprises a summary of the manual. All summarizing articles contain links to pdf-files of the manual, which are hosted on a website of WL|Delft Hydraulics
Summaries at the Coastal Wiki
Theme 9 of the Coastal Wiki contains over thirty articles with summaries of parts of the manual. The different chapters of the manual are summarized in next articles:
- Chapter 1: Introduction, problems and approaches in sediment transport measurements
- Chapter 2: Definitions, processes and models in morphology
- Chapter 3: Principles, statistics and errors of measuring sediment transport
- Chapter 4: Computation of sediment transport and presentation of results
- Chapter 5: Measuring instruments for sediment transport
- Chapter 6: Measuring instruments for particle size and fall velocity
- Chapter 7: Measuring instruments for bed material sampling
- Chapter 8: Laboratory and in situ analysis of samples
- Chapter 9: In situ measurement of wet bulk density
- Chapter 10: Instruments for bed level detection
- Chapter 11: Argus video
- Chapter 12: Measuring instruments for fluid velocity, pressure and wave height
For Chapter 5 most of the sections and sub-sections are also summarized in separate articles:
- 5.2: Instrument Characteristics of point-integrating suspended load samplers
- 5.3: Selection of sediment transport samplers
- 5.5: Bed load samplers:
- 5.6: Suspended load samplers:
- 5.6.2: Bottle and trap samplers
- 5.6.3: Pump samplers and Pump sampling in unidirectional and oscillatory flow
- 5.6.4: Optical and acoustical sampling methods:
- Website of the author: Leo van Rijn
- UK: Estuary guide
- WHO: Water quality monitoring: A practical guide to the design and implementation of freshwater quality studies and monitoring programmes, Edited by J. Bartram and R. Ballance
- WMO: Manual on sediment management and measurement
- Rijn, L. C. van (1986). Manual sediment transport measurements. Delft, The Netherlands: Delft Hydraulics Laboratory
- Rijn, L.C. van (2007)Manual sediment transport measurements in rivers,estuaries and coastal seas, Aquapublications, The Netherlands. 500 p.
Please note that others may also have edited the contents of this article.